Thursday, May 26, 2005

Baked Brains

by AJ

Have been out of commission for a few days... acting as a tour guide to Shiori, who was visiting from Japan. While doing this, I finally learned the meaning of the phrase "only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun." To that list you can add Americans and Japanese.

Thailand in the hot season is nothing to take lightly. On the first day I failed to drink enough water. I ended up with a splitting, pounding, migraine-esque headache.... plus I felt tremendously fatigued.

I slugged a couple Gatorades that night, plus some water,... took a cold shower... popped two Tylenol... and went to bed. I awoke without the headache, but still fatigued.

There followed two more days of walking and intense heat. I used an umbrella for portable shade. I drank more water (causing me to run to the bathroom every hour or two). I sweated. I sweated. And I sweated some more.

As did Shiori. By the end of three days I think we were both exhausted.

I fear her main memory of Thailand will be of three days of sweat.

As for me.... Ill be back and posting regularly soon, but first another Gatorade, Tylenol, and cold shower are in order.

..........

No comments: