Thursday, April 14, 2005

Stuff To Do In Hiroshima

by Kristin

A.J. and I went to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. It was so incredibly intense!! I had to stop reading everything because I was getting so drained. The museum collects and displays belongings left by the victims, photos and other materials that convey the horror of the atomic bombing. It also has exhibits that describe Hiroshima before and after the bombing and others that present the current status of the nuclear age.

Hiroshima is a city that very much promotes the elimination of all nuclear weapons. Behind the museum, the "A Bomb Dome" still stands. It's a building that was directly at the center of the bombing. It's just a skeleton of a building that gets illuminated every night....kind of an eerie sight.

Other than Karaoke, a few bars and restaurants I haven't experienced much else of Hiroshima's night life. There are definitely some clubs that I want to check out. There's a decent sized Latino population here. In fact, I've hung out with a guy from Colombia. I'm hoping to take in some Latin clubs at some point.

I also met a guy from Jamaica who seems to be into hip hop. Hip hop seems to be fairly popular here. One of the new teachers went out with a Japanese woman one night whose really into break dancing (in fact, she's going to "study" break dancing at a school in LA soon). Anyway, he said the club was so hilarious....there were different Japanese women that would come out and pop/break dance for an audience.

He also said that before the dancers started performing, there was a BMX (bike) event with Japanese guys doing all sorts of tricks on their bikes. I'm sorry I missed that evening. I might be going to an event where a guy from England that I met will be DJing. I know one thing that I want to save my money for is Fuji Rock. Fuji Rock is in August. It's three days of camping and music near Mt. Fuji. Radio Head will be there and that alone is enough for me to want to go!

......

No comments: