Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Heart

by AJ/Skald

For me there is only the traveling on the paths that have a heart, on any path that may have a heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge for me is to traverse its full length. And there I travel--looking, looking, breathlessly.
- From The Teachings of Don Juan, by Carlos Castaneda

Doesnt that get to the core? What an excellent question to ask about any undertaking, any enterprise.... "Is this a path with heart?" Its a question Ive asked myself about my job-situation in Japan (my answer, unfortunately, is "no"). Its a question Ive asked about teaching in general ("yes"); and about travel ("yes"), writing ("yes"), life in Thailand ("yes"), and my personalized mix of zen-taoism-shamanism ("yes").

Its a lack of heart that leads me to condemn big business, fundamentalist Christianity/Islam/Judaism, and Republicans (often overlapping groups).

People can tolerate a great deal of adversity when on a path with heart. They will fight, they will move mountains. They'll display integrity, strength, determination, and boldness.

I believe that most people yearn for such a path. They yearn for a noble cause. They yearn for something grand and magnificent. But most are trapped in jobs.. and by extension lives.. without heart. They appear listless. They appear dull. They appear lazy. "Appear", but not "are".

A great resevoir of energy slumbers. Social work taught me that. I witnessed its awakening on several occaisons...

So while I often vent my rage at the wage-slavers and drones of America, Inc...... I do so because Ive glimpsed the possible. People have so much more than given credit for. So much genius sleeps there.

All thats needed-- an ounce of inspiration, a glimpse of noble purpose, a modicum of faith in them, and a path with heart.

Supply these, and get out of the way. Supply these, and be ready for miracles.

............

No comments: