Monday, March 05, 2007

Ever So Slowly

Financial independence is coming along, ever so slowly. I'm now happy to report that my website is making enough for me to live, job free, in an inexpensive country (such as Thailand, Cambodia, India, Ecuador, etc.).

However, I've decided to wait a while longer to build the site and be sure it will be a consistent source of independent income. It would be nice if it eventually generated enough for me to be independent even in more expensive countries-- ie. The US, Europe, and Japan... but at least I've hit the first milestone.

What this little experiment has taught me is that the key to being a successful micro-preneur is simply this-- START. I can't tell you how many years I wasted THINKING about starting my own little project. I dreamed. I analyzed. I planned.

I suppose these activities had some psychological value-- helping me overcome doubts, fears, and hesitations.. but thats about it. Beyond that, it was just a lot of wasted time and energy.

The key to becoming financially independent is not a super idea, or a genius plan, or the amazing thing that no one else has ever thought of. The key is to simply start something-- anything. Just start and then adapt. That's all it really takes.

Because before you start, you really don't know what the hell you are doing. You THINK you know what will be necessary. You THINK you can predict the problems and opportunities. You THINK you can plan everything. But you are wrong-- you can't. The only way you learn those things is by starting, trying things, and seeing what happens.

Of course, this works best if you are going the bootstrapper micro-preneur route. If you are taking out a 100,000 dollar loan, its probably more difficult (psychologically and financially) to start without much of a plan. Which is yet another reason not to go this risky and failure-ridden route.

Instead, start with what you have... do something you can afford to do... try SOMETHING... see what happens.... reflect, adapt, innovate... try something else...

There's the "magic secret" to becoming financially independent (which I define as freedom from jobs and bosses).

No business degree or massive loans necessary.

No comments: