Thursday, July 15, 2004

Evasion
by Mack

[Check out the link to the Evasion website... under "anti-work" on the sidebar --Skald]

Evasion in an almost religious way, as a text by which to live their life. Since itís release - the book and the zine before that - weíve seen in the DIY subculture a surge in things like dumpster diving, and shoplifting, as well as a wave of ìtraveler kidsî inspired in part or whole by your writing. What are your reflections on the role youíve played in these things? Are these positive trends?

First, I think Iíll fall under attack if I didnít point out there was Iggy Scam before me, and Aaron Cometbus before him, and we could trace the lineage of Evasion back to Abbie Hoffman before both. Prankster/outlaw/vagabond memoir-literature is timeless.

Traveling continues to be important to me. But I have not ever, nor do I now identify with ìtraveler kid cultureî. I was never involved with the anarcho/crust/pseudo-activist/scenester cult many would identify me with. When it comes with dreadlocks, a bandanna in itís back pocket, and holds a 40 oz, I run. Itís just a basic feeling this scene has nothing to do with my life. Iím speaking of most every traveling punk Iíve met when I say the traveling culture is focused on ìhanging outî.One thing about my early writing, something that remains important to me, is that much of my traveling was done alone. The emphasis was on the experience. I still choose to travel alone at least half the time. But for many of the kids I meet now.... Itís a social scene. Hopping trains from punk house to punk house. Great I guess, but.... I donít really stay at punk houses, or eat Food Not Bombs, or go to ìradicalî conferences. I support those things, but they are not stimulating to me. So, Iím not really in the circles you describe.

I wouldnít doubt maybe a few kids have read Evasion and decided to model their life from it. Is this positive? Dumpster diving reduces consumption, so I feel good about that. I like the idea of people maybe taking a shortcut to their dreams via a little ìreallocation of goodsî, like the kid in Louisville who told me his passion was music, and after reading Evasion walked into one of those chain music stores and walked out with a guitar! I can say Iíve hardly had a bad day since I quit my last job 8 years ago, and I think most people would be better for doing the same. Iíve gotten several ìRead Evasion, went veganî letters, and those are the greatest. Then there are Evasion readers who come away just knowing better tactics for stealing beer. You take the good with the bad.


No comments: