Wednesday, May 11, 2005

My First Hummer

I am sad to say that yesterday I saw my first super SUV HUM-V or Hummer in Kuala Lumpur.

It took me a minute to realize what it was.

I was greatly saddened to see such a behemoth in the narrow streets of Asia.

Undoubtedly, the owner has some money...

I sped past him on my scooter. His truck way too big to go fast in the Asian-sized streets of KL.

I couldn't help but wonder about his ego and some sort of inverse relationship between the size of his gas guzzling vehcle and a certain part of his anatomy.

-Matt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess its because this particular truck is eye catching? Your scooter dosn't have an ego nor consume gas?

matt said...

A HUM-V is certianly more than eye-catching- it a monster gas consumer. I think the new hybrid tiny little 2 passenger cars I see are eye-catching.

Sure my scooter consumes gas. I get about 50-60 miles to the gallon. I think the HUM-V gets about 8-10 mpg.

While my scooter does not have an ego... I certainly do. But I have no need to proclaim my status and ego by driving a monster truck through the streets of Kuala Lumpur.

Kuala Lumpur is not a mountain town surrounded by ice or snow and a need for 4WD... and a quick look inside a HUM-V reveals that it isn't deisgned to haul materials or equipment (the new consumer models- not the army models).

There is HUGE difference in consumption for no noticeable difference in utility. And as I said .. I sped past him because his truck was too big to navigate the streets efficiently.

There really is no need for it.

Thanks for asking though!

-Matt