Tuesday, May 17, 2005

End of a Myth

Somehow I grew up with this idea that everybody in the world wanted to come to 'Merica and they all wanted what I had (whatever that was) and they wanted to take it from me.

I'm not sure where that came from... but it seems real somehow.

As McMericans we are trained that way. We think everybody wants what we have. As a result, we're willing to fight anybody that wants our supposed superior and 'high' standard of living.

Well, you can imagine my surprise when I met many folks from Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines who had no desire to visit much less live in 'Merica. It's true! Somehow these 'naive' and 'poor' people of SE Asia have no desire to go toi McMerica!

How could that be?

I thought I was supposed to be afraid and angry at everybody else in the world for wanting what I had and wanting to take it from me!

Maybe it ain't true!

But how could that be?

Step off the porch and maybe you'll find out!

-Mattt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I've always been told that one had to travel to "exotic" places to truly understand what it is all about. Well, you can imagine my surprise when I met many folks from all across merica who had no desire to visit much less live in the exotic lands. It's true! Somehow these 'rich' and 'ignorant' people of merica have no desire to go SE Asia!

How could that be?

I thought I was supposed to be guilty and ashamed at of my country, because we were so evil and hateful and intolerant.

Maybe it ain't true!

But how could that be?

Step off the porch and maybe you'll find out!