Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Pillars of Stability

Nothing in life is guaranteed. But it is pretty comforting to know that pretty much every Tuesday night I will get to put on my ankle braces, cleats and go and chase around a large and sometimes flat flying disc.

Kuala Lumpur has an Ultimate Frisbee team and I'm on it. True to the spirit of the game we accept all ability levels and shun those who are too competitive. Good thing for me. I am pretty good on skill but pretty low on fitness.

I can feel confident that on any given Tuesday night we'll gather at the field and run around for an hour or so. I am also pretty certain that Ill catch some unlikely tosses. I'll miss a few easy ones. I'll beat someone better than me and get beat by a newbie. That's just the way it goes. That's how I like it.

I am amazingly good on some nights and extremely poor on others. How boring would it be if I always knew how I'd perform?

But that's not the best of it.

The best part is the camaraderie that's felt as we trek over to the roadside Chinese stall- literally next to the highway!

We ALWAYS order butter prawns, black pepper deer, cashew chicken, fried rice, garlic veggies and drink a shit load of Carlsberg.
Why else would we nearly kill ourselves to begin with?

So as the sun sets over the skyline of the Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, the KL Ultimate Frisbee teams sits exhausted and soaked from a damn good run. We sip our beers. We eat our prawns and celebrate being alive.

Sometimes it's nice to have a routine.

-Matt

1 comment:

AJ said...

Routine

Absolutely Matt!

Those are the sorts of routines I love too... the self-selected ones!!

My own favorite is a morning routine of a few hours in a coffee shop-- sipping coffee, munching on a whole wheat bun, reading, and scratching in my journal. Im a slow starter in the morning and find this routine very meditative.

Its a routine I follow on all but my most hectic travels. Whereever I am, the first thing I search for is good cafe or coffee shop in which to start the day.

Social routines are also enjoyable... maybe even vital. Modern life conspires to keep us busy and separate.... regular gatherings, like Ultimate, Poetry Readings, Movie Nights, etc..... help us build and keep connections... and thus defeat what Hakim Bey calls our ADDICTION TO BITTER LONELINESS.

Once again youve called attention to my sloppy use of words. I suppose its monotony that I truly despise.... not necessarily routines!

.......